Thursday, June 25, 2009

Garden Upgrades

I left town last weekend for a wedding, and when I came back, the garden was all wilty and half dead :( I had watered before I left, but I guess several days in the near 100 degree heat didn't make the plants too happy! Also, the weeds were so bad, it looked like we just planted a garden in the middle of the yard. So, this week, Kathryn (dear sweet sister) and I put down thick layers of newspaper to kill the weeds and covered everything in mulch. Hopefully that will keep weeds out, keep the soil cooler and help retain water a little better. I'm so sad that I let it get so bad before doing something, but hopefully we won't loose too many plants or anything. I also put out some Marigolds and I hope those will help with the bugs. I've gotten a couple of veggies out of the yard with bug holes in them. Also, we found some rogue Basil plants (lots, actually) growing in the garden. I think they came back from seed from last year. So, I transplanted those to a different spot in the garden, also.

Ginger- I didn't know if you knew this or noticed before you left, but your tree is FULL OF PEARS!

Also, not sure if this is just a crabapple tree, but some of the apples are the same size as the ones you get in the store!
Here's the garden- This side is squash, zucchini, black beans, pumpkin and corn.
Here's the other side- Tomatoes, peppers, and herbs.




1 comment:

The Dunton's said...

I like your new background (blog skin?).
Pear?!? I didn't think that was supposed to work... You should try one if it's big enough, and the apples too because last year they never got that big! Maybe they taste good, I have no idea!
The garden looks great with the mulch and I'm sure that will help. I bet things will perk up if we can keep them wet for the next few months. I'm excited about beans and squash and everything!
Thanks for taking care of it so well while I'm gone!